Interlibrary Loan Policies & Procedures
Interlibrary Loan is a service provided exclusively to patrons of the Pendleton Community Public Library; this service allows the library to meet patron needs while maintaining its budget. The Pendleton Community Public Library endorses the Indiana Library Resource Sharing Policy, the ALA Interlibrary Loan Code, the United States Copyright Law, and federal/state laws governing confidentiality of records.
Steps to Interlibrary Loan (ILL):
1. A card holding patron of the Pendleton Community Public Library desires an item that the library does not own. We are one of the few libraries that will borrow DVDs and audiobooks; however, due to excessive processing time, we do not ILL any TV series in any format.
The library also cannot choose the lending library, nor predict precisely when the item will arrive.
2. To request material from home, simply choose Request Materials on this website. To request materials in person, simply fill out a Request Form. These are available at the Circulation Desk, and at the Reference desk. Please be as specific as possible in requesting items. For example, if requesting a film, please clarify original film or remake by listing an actor or year. If an audiobook is requested, please specify that format. The more accurate information provided, the more likely patrons will receive exactly what they requested. Please fill out one form per title request.
3. The Reference Librarian submits requests to the Indiana Share Program via the Indiana State Library. The request is then sent to libraries all over the country. In state deliveries of items are made twice a week; out of state items arrive via the United States Post Office.
4. When materials arrive at the Pendleton Community Public Library, they must be processed into our system; this is why only PCPL patrons have access to this service. This is also why the library appreciates when patrons pick up their requested materials. In fact, due to processing time, failure to pick up 2 requested materials will result in a loss of this service. Items must be returned on time; 2 late returns, including two items both returned the same day (late) will also result in a loss of ILL privileges.This policy is to protect our library's reputation in the interlibrary loan community; this will ensure that we receive a high volume of items from other libraries.
5. Patrons providing an email address will be notified as soon as the items are processed; phone calls require a bit more time to accomplish. This is why all patrons with email access are strongly encouraged to choose this notification method for all ILLs and Holds.
6. Processing includes a Pendleton Community Library label affixed to the item(s). It is very important for processing that this label remain on the item when it is returned.
7. There are no renewals allowed on interlibrary loaned materials; however, patrons will notice that lending times are very generous. It is important to return these materials on time; see #4 above regarding loss of ILL privileges due to late returns.
8. The Pendleton Community Library will pay most shipping fees associated with interlibrary loan. Unique items, with higher shipping costs, will be the patron's responsiblity if agreed upon. The library can not pay for damaged or late items; those rare & unfortunate situations are the patron's responsibility.
Click on the library's logo to visit the site.